On 11.10.16 23:09, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Tuesday, 11 October 2016 10:49:29 PM AEDT Erik Christiansen via luv-main
> wrote:
> > That attempted diversion doesn't fix systemd. As ConsoleKit is no longer
> > supported, it's irrelevant history - a poor diversion from what you're
> > failing to rationally defend.
>
> It's no longer supported because it was replaced by systemd.
>
> It's not as if systemd replaced things that were simple and easy to
> understand.  It replaced other things that had already made things complex a
> couple of versions of Debian ago, and users hadn't complained then.

Modest mission creep would be a lot easier to sell if the logs weren't
obfuscated in a deliberate DOS effort aimed at users. However, I'm not
convinced that agglomerating additional complex stuff into an init
process is a system optimisation. There is the danger that previously
discrete processes, merged by the one team, will acquire unnecessary
internal linkage, turning the whole into an inseparable monolith. As
complexity rises, the inevitable destination is unmaintainability. The
effect has led to demise of a UK banking system prior to commissioning,
and long delays in commissioning of an airport, due to an inoperable
automated baggage handling system. KISS isn't just elegant - it is the
essence of survival, in the face of complexity.

Erik