Hi Ed,

Thanks for your efforts on my behalf, I enlisted the support of an experienced tech and we were unable to get anything  working. So I shot down to MSY and 30 minutes later I had hooked up the SSD with an adapter to my laptop. It cannot access the drive. Here is the message:

An error occurred while accessing 'root', the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting /dev/sdc3 at /media/andrewlg/root: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc3, missing codepage or helper program, or other error

I think it is stuffed.

Kind regards

Andrew