"Asger K. Alstrup Nielsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

| > Ok, I should not have followed up to this mail, but I wanted Asgers
| > attention...
|
| Hey!  I read almost all of the traffic on the list.

And how could I know that?
(my lurking-radar is out of order)

| [Changes in LyXFont]
| > Do you have any other/better ideas on how to do this? I think that
| > after my changes it is a lot clearer what is going on in lowlevel
| > LyXFont code, so from a maintence viewpoint the changes are good.
|
| The LyXFont code should be split into two different parts:
| one for LyX abstract representation of fonts, and one
| for the concrete instance of fonts in the GUI.
|
| Therefore, it's ok to clean up the font code even at the price of
| performance, but only if the work is followed up by the split in
| font representation that will make the performance problem less
| acute.

I don't think performance will suffer a lot...

| But only in due time!
|
| Small steps, remember?

The font change is a small step...

| > Anyway I will check this in, and then you can have a look.
|
| I'm a little surprised that you did this work at this stage,
| although I understand that it's more fun.

ok, this step is a bit larger. BUT this change is absolutely needed
for the gui-independence work and to allow further work on
insets/tabulars etc. to happen. I agree that it is a bit bold, but
what we did cleanly at our meeting now pays off, the inclusion of the
Painter code was easy (but a lot of work).

| However, please consider to spent some time to finish the space issues
| in tables

double space?

| and extremes of paragraphs, and fix some of the other
| bugs that have been reported recently.

We can of course stop all development and just fix bugs... that will
quickly make the next version of LyX the most stable ever (or the next
version after that), but then at least I as a developer will get
completely bored and not do anything... As you have claimed yourself:
Fix one bug and you are entitled to write one new feature.

| Right now, we need stability more than the new painter if you ask me.
| People say that 1.1.2 was more stable than what we have now. That's
| the wrong direction. 1.1.5 should be more stable than 1.1.2!

Only true under the assumtion that no development are done.

        Lgb