Dov Feldstern schrieb:

and one of them has been supported for a long time, so suddenly switching to the other and breaking compatibility with the traditionally supported one doesn't seem right.

As I said we never supported arabTeX directly. So we don't switch to something.
Mostafa, what is your opinion here?

But anyway, to your patch:

- better use arabic_arabtex and arabic_arabi. If this is a fileformat change,
fine by me.
- your patch is incomplete, you miss the fontencoding issue. What font encoding
is required by
  arabTeX? I can add this to your patch when we made a decision what to support.

We never supported this since the user has to some manual adjustments before it works. When LyX would automatically load arabTeX when the user uses Arabic as document language then you can say we support it.

I don't understand that approach. By that measure, we don't support Hebrew, either, because I still have to setup the keymap myself;

Why that? We support now unicode so you should be able to type directly without
using a keymap.

because there's a whole Wiki page dedicated to how to get Hebrew working in LyX, which proves that it doesn't exactly work out of the box

Hmm, you can drop the binding file issue there and when you have a Hebrew keyboard also the keyboard map section. For me it only took 5 minutes to set up Hebrew: Installing the culsmus.exe that brings the Hebrew fonts to LaTeX and that's it. (Btw. it was me who created this wiki page originally.)

Of course you have for every language first set up LaTeX by installing packages, but with support I mean that you don't have to use preamble hacks or fiddling with the preferences to make things work when you change the document language.
With your recipe in
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.editors.lyx.devel/88100
I cannot write an Arabic and immediately later an English document. Docments with mixed languages are also not really possible. arabTeX simply don't work correctly for me. I tested this out hardly half a year ago and gave up, but now with arabi, everything concernig the infrastructure works:

- no special other package to install to get the input encoding
- I can mix languages as much as I want without editing the preamble or ERT
- I can type Arabic and Englich documents without modifying the preferences
when I switch
- when you have an Arabic keyboard, you don't need a keyboard map file
- babel support: no need to translate the names manually in the preamble for
every document

All this is also possible with Hebrew, so this is what I call support. But all this is not possible with arabTeX. Sure also arabi has it's drawbacks but as the infrastructure is ready with it, we can build in small workarounds like the ones for Farsi in my patch.

---

Besides this I would commit at least the Farsi related stuff of my patch as this improves typesetting Farsi enormously.

regards Uwe