On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 02:47:50PM +0200, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:

> >That's true for the current insets, absolutely *not* for char styles.
> >It's not acceptable for it to need two keypresses to get from a to b in
> >'ab' just because a has a different char style.
>
> But why would you want to have two different charstyles in the _same_
> word? If you need that then I would say that this is a use case where
> you really want to use font attributes and not charstyle.

This applies equally well to punctuation, spacing, whatever. Cursor
movement operations must operate 'visibly' in all circumstances.

> >This is also a difficult UI problem that will frustrate people I think.
> >Imagine if I have:
> >
> >      blah blah __blah foo foo__
> >
> >and I want to reset the third blah to have no style like the others.
> >It'll be immensely annoying to have to carefully select just up to the
> >'b' (any further, and you'll have the whole inset).
>
> Look at what I proposed in another message to you: I think that
> basically this problem would be easily solved by having one inset per word:
>
>         blah blah __blah__ __foo__ __foo__
>
> Of course, on export to LateX, LyX would be free to merge adjacent inset
> into _one_ charstyle.

It's an interesting idea. I need to think some more about it. My main
immediate problem would be that the selection behaviour depends entirely
on whether it has a style. This still doesn't seem intuitive. I
absolutely do want to be able to cut and paste with the 'innards' of
words, regardless of style.

regards
john