On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 03:44:34PM +0200, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:

> >That's a very bold statement to make, and is certainly not true of (for
> >example) code fragments, where a comma is most certainly not part of the
> ><variable> char style.
>
> Then just put it outside the charstyle, something that is as easy to do
> with insets (press <space> or right arrow) as with fonts (toggle font).

I don't believe this is a natural way to do things, again.

> >If we're making people 'get used to' something that we purposefully
> >introduced because our implementation needed it, we've gone very wrong.
>
> But charstyle _is_ something new! Aren't we allowed to design a new form
> of UI for something new? With MS word you can do similar things with
> macro and field but it is *very* cumbersome and not user friendly at all.

What!?!

Char styles are absolutely not something new. Whilst LyX has been
sitting on its hands, even word processors have stood up and implemented
char styles. And this is besides the point, anyway: char styles are so
close to char markup (e.g. bold) in terms of the way you interact with
them that to invent new UI is an awful idea IMO.

> OK, but I personally prefer a physical limit like imposed by the
> charstyle as it is implemented right now. Did you try it by the way? You
>  will see that you will rarely need the 'easy' selection process you
> were talking about.

Try what exactly?

regards
john