On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 03:17:09PM +0200, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:

> >>But why would you want to have two different charstyles in the _same_
> >>word? If you need that then I would say that this is a use case where
> >>you really want to use font attributes and not charstyle.
> >
> >This applies equally well to punctuation, spacing, whatever. Cursor
> >movement operations must operate 'visibly' in all circumstances.
>
> Ah but spaces are separators and punctuation should be attached to the
> previous word.

That's a very bold statement to make, and is certainly not true of (for
example) code fragments, where a comma is most certainly not part of the
<variable> char style.

> Why absolutely? Isn't this something that you could learn an get used
> to?

A-ha. Suddenly things have changed: the preference to use insets as the
implementation is now causing us to invent new forms of unusual UI. This
is exactly what Dov is talking about.

If we're making people 'get used to' something that we purposefully
introduced because our implementation needed it, we've gone very wrong.

(As opposed to the idea of semantic markup, which is an intentional
policy decision.)

> become very natural. I for one hate when I don't know if this particular
> punctuation is in 'arial' or 'times' when I type something in MS Words.
> At the end I just select everythng and reapply the font that I want,
> just to be sure.

This genuine issue has other solutions (straw men include: a simple
conglomerate style range marker in light blue with the name of the
style; something in the status bar at the bottom; the combo box
automatically switching to the current style)

regards
john