On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 11:45:14AM -0500, rgheck wrote:
> Pavel Sanda wrote:
>>> xdg-open is supposed just to open whatever viewer you have defined for
>>> the relevant file type. If you're not using one of the desktops for which
>>> it is defined (KDE, Gnome, XFCE) and, moreover, don't have mimeopen
>>> installed and working, then xdg-open checks for a browser it can use and
>>> uses that. (NOTE: xdg-open is just a script, and it's pretty
>>> understandable.) It's possible that configure should try to figure out if
>>> it's running under one of these desktops since, if it's not, then
>>> xdg-open will probably be the wrong choice.
>>>

>> my understanding is that xdg-open is chosen as the first one even if i
>> have acroread/gv etc, which is in imho wrong solution. thats why i have
>> asked why we use it as a _first_ choice.

Otherwise it would make no sense at all.

> Yes, but the point is that by using xdg-open, we use whatever the user has
> set as default, rather than (say) using acroread when they've set kpdf. The
> problem here is that xdg-open isn't doing the right thing on your system,
> and that's why I started to wonder how your system was configured, eg, what
> your wm is.

ACK. It would be nice to know in which enviroment the people with the problems
are working including which distribution they're using.

We've been using xdg-open as the first choice for the Debian packages and
subsequently the Ubuntu packages for over a year now and didn't receive such
a problem report so I suspect that it makes more sense to fix the broken
setup instead of reverting this change.

Cheers,
Sven
--
There's no need for tears, cause there's no need to cry.
That love that you leave will never be denied.