On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 12:14:43PM -0500, rgheck wrote:

>> We've been using xdg-open as the first choice for the Debian packages and
>> subsequently the Ubuntu packages for over a year now and didn't receive such
>> a problem report so I suspect that it makes more sense to fix the broken
>> setup instead of reverting this change.
>>

> The only way you can get to the browser bit is (a) not to be using KDE,
> Gnome, or XFCE, and (b) not to have a working version of mimeopen
> installed. That's a perfectly sensible setup,

Well I've to admit that the Debian version of xdg-open is patched a little
bit so it won't do to the browser thingy and instead use run-mailcap.
So it's been working fine even on my KDE free laptop setup running with
fluxbux as a windows manager.

> but in that case we shouldn't
> use xdg-open, I'd guess. If so, then that will complicate the configure
> script. How much, I don't know. Maybe we could borrow the detectDE bit from
> xdg-open, modified for Python, and then check for mimeopen if we don't find
> one of the preconfigured desktops, and then, only if all of that succeeds,
> use xdg-open, assuming we found it.

If it's really too much pain to fix xdg-open then I've to agree that it would
make more sense to revert the change.

Sven
--
There's no need for tears, cause there's no need to cry.
That love that you leave will never be denied.