Uwe Stöhr wrote:

Unfortunately using wrapfig like in trunk cannot be backported since it is a fileformat change.
Well - this rule doesn't have to be absolute!

It sure is a good rule to have for changes initiated by the LyX project.
But this time the change is imposed from the outside.

Distributing a LyX known not to work is kind of silly - if the only
reason is that we don't want to do a fileformat change. (Nobody
wanting to add wrapfig to 1.5.4 is reasonable though.)

Doing a big job on the installer for a fix that will be obsoleted by
1.6 doesn't seem smart in this case either. No problem if
someone wants to do it anyway - but changing the fileformat to cope
with changes outside LyX is actually a good idea. It is
just the sort of thing maintenance releases are for - sync
up with TeX changes.

Of course there is also the option of renaming 1.5.4 to 1.6 because
of a single file format change, and then 1.6svn becomes 1.7svn.  The
rigid rule is then followed, we get a LyX that works with the latest Tex,
and also a shorter interval between 1.6 and 1.7 :-)

Helge Hafting