On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 07:55:37PM +0000, Duncan Simpson wrote:

> I have just discovered a great way of doing code reviews and fereting out
> bugs, including well buried ones.q In fatc there are several ways, all of
> which tend to go together; just a write a clear and easy to read document
> explaning how to code works for those who do not know already.
>
> This will frequently draw your attention to ways to clean up the code and
> things that are surely bugs. The requirement to explain what a section of code
> does can expose the fact you do not know (this has hapenned to me more than
> once). OBviosuly such a document would make life easier for new developers as
> a bonus. It would also be a lot of work...
>
> I have squashed more than 3 subtle bugs in a parallel programing library, of
> my own design, while explaining its insides. I know of at least one other bug
> that needs fixing and will be addressed when that function enters the
> spotlight. Asking about a release date for either the code or the process
> calculus behind this beast is premature.

This is the whole point of Knuth's Literate Programming paradigm. You write a
document that describes and implements the code.

I have created many large projects for clients using this technique and my
bug hunting and fixing time has been almost non-existent.

                        ---Kayvan
--
Kayvan A. Sylvan                   | Proud husband of      | Father to my kids:
Sylvan Associates, Inc.            | Laura Isabella Sylvan | Katherine Yelena