On Thursday 23 November 2000 12:35, Asger K. Alstrup Nielsen wrote:
> Indirectly, you acknowledge that Matthias is right about one thing:
>
>   GUII takes a long time.
>
> The basic question then remains:  Is GUII worth it?
>
> Please distinguish between GUII and model/view separation.  These things
> are not the same.  Both are worthwhile technical goals.  GUII, as we know,
> is much harder.

Asger,
I'm a little confused here. As one of the people doing this stuff, I can see
NO difference between GUII and model/view separation IN THIS CONTEXT. At
least, as far as the dialogs I've ported are concerned.

We launch a dialog by emitting a SigC++ Signal from the LyX kernel.
We apply any changes made in the dialog by a call to the appropriate
Dispatch() method in the kernel.

That's model/view separation. We do nothing else to achieve GUII. It comes
for free.

This may be different for the Toolbar/Menubar, I don't know. For the Inset
popups this is definately true. (Incidentally, if you look at the messages
posted to the CVS log by Matthias and Kalle as the tried to port the stuff to
QT2, almost all their despairing comments are directed to the Menu/Toolbar!)

Don't get me wrong; I'm not advocating any particular toolkit here. I just
don't see the difficulty!

Angus