On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 3:21 PM, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <lasgout...@lyx.org>wrote:

> Le 24/06/2011 14:26, Rainer M Krug a écrit :
>
>  In this scheme we would be mixing releases with daily builds, which I
>> think is not a good idea. Also: a beta tester might not be interested in
>> the daily builds. Especially, I would not mix the daily trunk builds
>> with anything else more stable - if somebody want's to test the daily
>> trunk, then they have to install a separate ppa - additional security
>> measure.
>>
>> What about
>> 1) putting daily trunc builds in own ppa
>> 2) take daily BRANCH_2_0_X builds out of lyx-stable and add to
>> lyx-devel, together with alpha and betas when available?
>> 3) have a lyx-release ppa with final releases
>>

> My problem is to separate two kind of users:
>
> * people who want a version of lyx safe with their documents (lyx releases,
> branch daily builds). This is the ppa we can recommend to everybody.

OK - if the developers feel comfortable with recommending the use of branch
daily builds, then this makes definitely sense.

> * people who are willing to take risks and want to try new features (alpha,
> beta, trunk).

I just think that a beta tester (even an alpha tester) is not nearly as
adventurous as a daily build trunk user.

So if we are talking about types of users, I would possibly add the trunc
user as a third category which would mean a third ppa.

Rainer

> This distinction is IMO more important than real versions version vs.
> daily.
>
> JMarc

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University