On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes
<lasgout...@lyx.org>wrote:

> Le 24/06/2011 11:23, Rainer M Krug a écrit :
>
>  I am sticking here with the mozilla  terminology (I hope I get it
>> right), so:
>>
>> lyx-daily
>>      daily builds of trunk and 2.0.x - highly unstable and *only* for
>> testing purposes -- unstable
>>

> I would differentiate the wording for branch. The daily 2.0.x builds are at
> least of beta quality. Most of the time they are an improvement wrt lates
> stable release. And these are the daily builds that we should encourage
> people to use. This is where the ppa would be a great gain for us IMO.

Ok. I think this all biols down to the understanding of how stable trunk and
BRANCH_2_0_X is.

So the first question is:

Which binaries do we want to have in ppas? and

How should they be separated into different ppas?

We have the following categories:

- releases
--- alpha
--- beta
--- final (stable)
- daily builds
--- trunk (highly unstable / experimental)
--- BRANCH_2_0_X (unstable but usable)
--- BRANCH_1_6_X (no further maintenance releases? so we might not need this
one any more)

I think it would be useful to have a daily

lyx-daily
lyx-beta
lyx-stable

which can be used for BRANCH_2_0_X and new ones, and we could upload into
stable the latest 1.6 release as well (compiled with version suffix). In
addition, one package simply called lyx, always containing the newest
release, without version suffix. This would ot clash with the ubuntu, but
update it.

But we could have an additional

lyx-daily-trunk

which will have the daily builds of trunk

In this way it would be clear that these are experimental daily builds and
even more unstable then lyx-daily.

Would that make sense?

> JMarc

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)