On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes
<lasgout...@lyx.org>wrote:

> Le 24/06/2011 11:52, Rainer M Krug a écrit :
>
>  Ok. I think this all biols down to the understanding of how stable trunk
>> and BRANCH_2_0_X is.
>>
>> So the first question is:
>>
>> Which binaries do we want to have in ppas? and
>>

> We/you obviously have to decide what ppas are really useful (do adding new
> ones create extra work for you?). A problem we should not forget is that
> having too many ppas may be confusing for users.

ppas do not cost anything and are very easy to create. You are absolutely
right - to many ppas are confusing to users, but if we combine to many, it
might be to "dangerous" for users as well.

> Concerning naming, I would propose an explicit separation between daily and
> releases with names like
> lyx-daily-(stable|trunk)
> lyx-release-(stable|beta|**alpha)

I think one ppa should only hold the official final releases, with version
suffixes, and one lyx, which updates the ubuntu one. This should be the one
for the user who really want's to be on the save side.

One other ppa should have the opposite - the unstable / experimental daily
builds from trunc. This is the ppa for the developer / tester / very
adventorous user and *not* for production use

then there are the beta releases and the daily builds of BRANCH_2_0_X -
based on earlier statements, I would actually split them into two ppas, as
betas are more unstable then the daily builds of BRANCH_2_0_X - correct? In
addition, betas are releases and should therefore be in a beta ppa.

Concerning naming:

lyx-daily-experimental for daily builds of trunk
lyx-daily-branch for the daily builds of BRANCH_2_0_X or the actual active
development branch
lyx-release for stale final releases
lyx-beta for beta releases

Final question is concerning version suffixes:

there should be one version without version suffix in lyx-release, all other
debs in this ppa should have version suffixes to be installable in parallel
on in one system without interference

daily_experimental should have its own suffix, so that updates take place
daily, but installation completely independent of other lyx installations

daily branch - should it have the same suffix to update lyx-release? I think
so

Did I sum up the discussion so far correctly?

> There is indeed no need to catter for 1.6 branch. There is only one stable
> branch active at a time.

OK.

> JMarc

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)