Yihui Xie wrote:
> I mean discussion in email is less efficient than directly in code,
> where you can point out why this line is not good, and how that line
> needs improvement, etc.

You repeat this kind of argument which means either me or you do not follow.

There is nothing easier than comment on particular line of code when patch
is sent to the list and it happens here regularly, sometimes with pretty
complex structure of subthreads on the topic, haven't you seen yet?
Then we have mailling list with each commit automatically posted, so the
same applies for already committed code.

At the end it boils down to the choice of your favourite mail client
or web-based interface to the list. I don't follow what github offers
more (WRT code commenting) except it steals choice of tools particular
developer is pleased to use.

Pavel