I'm by now an experienced Windows (Vista) user of LyX. Doubtless I'm adding fuel to the flames rather than oil on troubled waters, but ...

On 2/07/2012 12:33 p.m., Uwe Stöhr wrote:
Am 28.06.2012 11:23, schrieb Vincent van Ravesteijn:

But then you don't get a full functional LyX. We cannot surpass the
package installations, see me last 2 mails.

Even if we add an option "Surpass the LaTeX package installation" what
do you expect a new user who has never worked with LaTeX nor know what
LaTeX is will do?

"Surpass"? A nice combination of "bypass" and "suppress".

The reason why I don't accept this installer now is that:
- the installer installs LyX in a folder called: LyX 2.0.4 instead of
LyX20 as the current official
installer does. I really don't see a single reason to change this
behaviour;

There is also no reason not to change the name of the folder. I already
also explained that we can easily change the name to somewhat else but
need the info about the bugfix release. If is perfectly valid to install
LyX 2.0.4 and leave 2.0.3 as backup and some users do this (e.g. if they
write a large document like a thesis).

I find the "LyX 2.0.4" naming useful. For example, when LyX moved from 2.0.1 to 2.0.2 it brought problems on my system: "sticky" scrolling, and memory leakage which caused a number of crashes, and I needed to revert to 2.0.1. I like to be able to install the latest version side by side with the previous one until I'm comfortable that it works properly. I've just installed 2.0.4 beside 2.0.3.

- this means that you have to manually uninstall the previous version
each time;
 > - this also means that you have to manually uninstall the previous
version _before_ installing
 > the new version;

No. If this is necessary for you, you find a bug in the installer. It
must be allowed to install LyX 2.0.4 to a system where already LyX 2.0.3
exists.

I've had no problems uninstalling afterwards. Just to check, I've uninstalled 2.0.3 *after* installing 2.0.4. No problems (the only thing to remember is *not* to uninstall preferences). I've then reinstalled 2.0.3 beside 2.0.4, again without problems.

- you still insist on installing the LyX shortcut in a subfolder in
the start menu. Your reply that
this was much easier if you want to manually reorder the start menu,
but this is totally non-sense;

This is not nonsense. On my Win XP PC I have about 120 programs
installed. You would get crazy if you cannot sort them. Only one program
(Inkscape) does not store the link in a subfolder.
But anyway, why is such a nitpick that important for you?

I find it convenient to be able to see the version number of a program in the start menu, which the current installation of LyX provides.

regards Uwe

I downloaded not from SourceForge itself, which is a dead loss as far as someone on dial-up (like me) is concerned, since the download is almost always cut off anywhere between a few hundred KB or 20 MB, but from one of the mirrors listed there, which gives a much more reliable download. I also ensure that I'm *not* connected to the internet when LyX is being installed so that the auto downloading of missing MiKTeX packages can't occur. This results in a prompt recommending downloading missing packages to which I reply "No" (just the once), and installation is then completed without fuss.

By the way, the Welcome screen of the setup wizard includes the line

}Click Next to continue

including the left brace, which should be deleted.

Andrew