Thorsten> 1. why did you remove the fax support? is it that big? dont
Thorsten> you feel like putting an option in the configure script to
Thorsten> give the opportunity to enable it again? i really felt
Thorsten> comfortable with it, using any other program or doing the
Thorsten> stuff by hand is (though i got to admit only a tiny little)
Thorsten> drag. if not, where do i have to remove comments to enable
Thorsten> it again?

It is currently only disabled (I think). Sending faxes is not LyX's
job (why not something for sending as e-mail) and is better done from
an external application (the unix philosophy: "one tool one job" or
whatever). Actually, somebody could probably take the old code and
make it compile as a standalone application and have exactly the same
functionnality. If we do not build a dvi viewer into LyX, we have no
reason to built-in a fax sending program (OK, this is not a fair
comment, I do not need fax :). By installing a _real_ fax frontend,
you will have much better functionality, and LyX code will become
cleaner (which is really needed).

Thorsten> 2. the dead keys work, but they are not displayed
Thorsten> correctly on the screen. is this my fault, fault of xfs, or
Thorsten> libforms (0.89) problem?

As far as I know, the dead keys done via keymaps do not work at all.
This needs fixing soon.

Thorsten> 3. i cant get the international
Thorsten> menus to work (i am german, my LANG is set to DE, the help
Thorsten> docs are selected correctly, but the menus stay english)?

Did you install LyX?