On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 09:04:13PM +0100, Thorsten Mika wrote:
> Mailing-List: contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]; run by ezmlm
> Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 21:04:13 +0100 (MET)
> From: Thorsten Mika <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: fax support, dead keys and i18n (1.1.6)
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> hi, jean-marc
>

> > It is currently only disabled (I think). Sending faxes is not LyX's
> > job (why not something for sending as e-mail) and is better done from
> > an external application (the unix philosophy: "one tool one job" or
> > whatever). Actually, somebody could probably take the old code and
> > make it compile as a standalone application and have exactly the same
> > functionnality. If we do not build a dvi viewer into LyX, we have no
> > reason to built-in a fax sending program (OK, this is not a fair
> > comment, I do not need fax :). By installing a _real_ fax frontend,
> > you will have much better functionality, and LyX code will become
> > cleaner (which is really needed).
>
> oh yes, i mean i was aware of efax doing the job. i just liked he phonebook
> function. meanwhile i found a way that was discusse earlier in the list, by a
> small python script and using the format converters. but i still miss the
> phonebook...

You may want to look at FaxView

http://www.netby.net/Oest/Europa-Alle/vermeer/

(shameless plug!) which is a tcl/tk script supporting efax.

It uses currently Ted as its fax editor, but it shouldn't be a big problem to
replace that by LyX. And it has a phone book... integration is not as nice,
though.

> thx,
>
> thorsten
>
> Thorsten Mika                                   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Hamm / Germany                                            TM5173-RIPE

Martin
--
Martin Vermeer  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Helsinki University of Technology