On 2015-10-29, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 07:16:44PM +0200, Günter Milde wrote:
>> commit 1523fc6023440f10ca0d82a681ded5c060d8fd33
>> Author: Günter Milde <mi...@lyx.org>
>> Date:   Tue Oct 20 19:14:39 2015 +0200

>>     Partial fix for #9740 "XeTeX/LuaTeX with TeX fonts problems".

>>     Fixes output for 3 of the 4 test lyx-files.

>>     Includes "FIXME"s at places where further action is required to get the
>> XeTeX
>>     export right but I don't know how.

> I'm not sure if you know or expect this (e.g. because of the FIXMEs), but this
> commit broke some of the tests for PDF-comment.lyx. It is not actually
> expected
> that this file should be compiled successfully with XeTeX or LuaTeX but it
> used
> to work (perhaps by luck?).

At least, I am not surprised. I know there are cases that fail now but
worked before, especially

  XeTeX with TeX-fonts and non-ASCII characters in the PDFinfo:

* before, the inputencoding was utf8, which is
  + fine for the PDFinfo but
  - wrong with non-ASCII characters in the text (either compilation error or
    wrong characters in the output).

* with the partial patch (fix 2), the inputencoding is set to "ascii",
  which is
  + correct for the text
  - fails with non-ASCII characters in the PDFinfo

> Do you think it is worth taking a look at why the tests started failing
> or should we forget about it in this case because the file is supposed
> to be compiled with pdfTeX?

My outlined FIXME would correct this (using ascii for the text and utf8 for
the PDFinfo. Until some kind soul with proper understanding is going to
complete it, I propose to

* open a bug report for non-ASCII characters in the PDFinfo with ASCII
  encoding (also fails with 8-bit TeX) (I could to this.)

* invert the tests with a pointer to this ticket.

> It seems that XeTeX with system fonts was broken by this commit but
> then it was fixed later on. The same thing happened for a couple of the
> other tests. So I guess we don't have to look at those. The following,
> however, were broken by this commit and the results from master
> indicate that they're still broken:

>         export/examples/PDF-comment_pdf5_texF (Failed)
>         export/examples/de/PDF-comment_pdf4_texF (Failed)
>         export/examples/de/PDF-comment_pdf5_texF (Failed)
>         export/examples/fr/PDF-comment_pdf5_texF (Failed)

> Recall that pdf5 refers to compiling with LuaTeX and pdf4 refers to
> compiling with XeTeX. All of the four above tests are regarding TeX
> fonts.

With XeTeX, the problem is the non-ASCII ö (o-umlaut) in the Author field.

With LuaTeX, the error is unrelated (at least here):

LaTeX info: "xparse/define-command"
.
. Defining command \selectchemgreekmapping with sig. 'm' on line 485.
! Argument of \__str_case_end:nw has an extra }.
<inserted text>
\par
l.573 \chemgreek_drop_symbols:

> I have checked in the commit before this one that the PDFs of
> the above four compilations look OK to me at first look (i.e. not
> garbled from what I see).

Before which commit?

Günter