Guillaume Munch wrote:

> Le 04/11/2015 20:06, Georg Baum a écrit :
>
> My experience with multi-author collaboration and change tracking
> differs. The various portions of the document tend to "belong" to one
> author and an author uses change tracking depending on whether that part
> belongs to them. Also, for trivial edits (typos...) they would disable
> change tracking. This is from my actual experience. So we tend to switch
> change tracking many times. The interface tends to concur with this
> usage: it is located on a toolbar and is assigned a keyboard shortcut.
>
> On the contrary, the use case that you mention where everybody has to
> track changes at the same time seems to be due to external constraints:
> change tracking is not used to facilitate multi-author collaboration,
> but to facilitate translations. This use of change-tracking appears very
> special to me.
>
> In addition, what appears even more special to me is the number of times
> when it produces the effects that you mention: the only times when a
> per-user, per-document preference would not produce the same effect is
> the very first time that the user edits the document.

I do not understand this sentence.

> I am willing to
> bet that that this happened fewer times overall in the past few months
> for LyX's documentations than the number of times where I had to
> synchronise with my co-author in the same time frame for a single
> article. And in any case, having change tracking set automatically on
> opening is not enough, because you still have to tell new contributors
> that it is important to track changes. Or did I miss something from your
> argument?

Well, you need to tell them not to mess with certain settings anyway (page
format, font size, or all document wide settings, whatever is applicable in
the specific context). If they do not change document settings, then
everything is OK.

> Another argument is the principle of least surprise: I think that users
> would tend to assume that it is a per-user, per-document preference,
> similar to the last cursor position mentioned by Vincent. Currently, it
> is more confusing, in the context where change tracking is enabled
> intermittently, that my co-author gets my own latest state instead of
> their.

I understand your use case now (which I was not so aware of previously), but
as you can see from the other responses, not all people work like that, so
we are back to the beginning: There is no easy solution, it depends on the
use case whether you want to store that in a document or in preferences.

> I agree with Vincent: \justification is per user, and the other two are
> per user, per document.

I think there is general consensus about \justification and \output_changes,
so if this is OK with Scott you could move these to preferences, but for
\track_changes I do not see a consensus, so this setting should not be
changed so short before a release IMHO.

Georg