On 2016-10-21, Enrico Forestieri wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 12:05:00PM +0200, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:

>> I'd prefer something such as "Class Defaults"

> I think that the old "None (no fontenc)" was more than adequate.
> This tells that *LyX* is not going to select any encoding.

However, it was inconsistent. The same fibt dialog uses [Default] when LyX is
not going to select any font. Also the internal name is "default".

We have the variable "fontenc" (in the *.lyx file called "\fontencoding")
with:

value      old GUI name      Action
========== ================= ============================================
global     Default           depends on lyxrc.fontenc
                             (default is equal to custom with <encname> T1)
<encname>¹ Custom            insert \usepackage[<encnames>]{fontenc}
                             in document-preamble
default    None (no fontenc) insert macro definitions missing in OT1
                             in document preamble to get working quotes

¹<encname> is a comma separated list of TeX font encodings (cf `texdoc
 encguide.pdf`)

> For that goal, I would have suggested to simply change "Default"
> to "LyX Default". I don't have any idea of what is meant for
> "Global Default".

Global Default is just a merge of the internal name and the previous GUI
name for consistency with the previous name and with the other names
of this dialogue. "LyX Default" would be OK, too.
Also, there is a suggestion to remove the global setting alltogether (see
Jean-Marcs comment).

> Such controversial changes should not be performed without discussion.

I did not expect controversy after 14 months without any response to the bug
report.

So my updated proposal is

value      new GUI name
global     LyX Default       # eventually remove this value and lyxrc.fontenc
<encname>¹ Custom
default    Class Default     # or LaTeX Default

with a short explanation in the tooltip and full description in
the Guide.

Günter