Le 22/10/2016 à 16:58, Enrico Forestieri a écrit :
I still wonder why we should keep this preference.

Good observation. I think for backward compatibility. Otherwise we
don't know what was the old default. Suppose that a user unchecked
that preference, meaning that no fontenc is loaded. If we miss this
info, we should convert an old [Default] to T1 (the old default),
thus screwing up old documents. The same if instead that was changed
to OT1, for example.

I think that at some point we should remove it and describe what to do in Release Notes for existing documents. What I do not know is whether a few people will face much work to get their documents in good shape again.