On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 07:05:29PM +0000, Guenter Milde wrote:
> On 2016-10-21, Enrico Forestieri wrote:
>
> > I think that the old "None (no fontenc)" was more than adequate.
> > This tells that *LyX* is not going to select any encoding.
>
> However, it was inconsistent. The same fibt dialog uses [Default] when LyX is
> not going to select any font. Also the internal name is "default".

It is because the default encoding has been T1 since ever. I also think
that it is unfortunate that selecting everything to be default, instead
one finds that lyx is not producing a pristine latex file such as
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
\end{document}
but this is historical. Each program has his quirks, and this one has
been there since the beginning. This is something that one gets
accustomed to. Expert users know how to deal with it, while novices
don't mind and only want something that works and looks good.
So, given that the "Default" has been stolen, having a "None (no fontenc)"
is helpful to experts to understand what is going on, while novices grasp
that something is not being selected. Probably, they don't even understand
what "TeX default" means, given that there is also another default
entry. I think they would be even more confused than now.

> > For that goal, I would have suggested to simply change "Default"
> > to "LyX Default". I don't have any idea of what is meant for
> > "Global Default".
>
> Global Default is just a merge of the internal name and the previous GUI
> name for consistency with the previous name and with the other names
> of this dialogue. "LyX Default" would be OK, too.
> Also, there is a suggestion to remove the global setting alltogether (see
> Jean-Marcs comment).

Note that menus should be comprehensible to users rather than developers.
I was not even thinking that global refers to an internal classification
which is not visible.

> > Such controversial changes should not be performed without discussion.
>
> I did not expect controversy after 14 months without any response to the bug
> report.

I think that you should not expect to have a discussion in the bug tracker
about topics such as this one. I don't even think it can be classified as
a bug. The fact that in 14 months nobody cared to comment may simply
mean that nobody feels that is an essential thing that should be corrected.

> So my updated proposal is
>
> value      new GUI name
> ========== =================
> global     LyX Default       # eventually remove this value and lyxrc.fontenc
> <encname>¹ Custom
> default    Class Default     # or LaTeX Default
>
> with a short explanation in the tooltip and full description in
> the Guide.

Given what said above, having "LyX Default" instead of simply
"Default" may be Ok (to differentiate from a consistency point of
view), but another default (Class default) without any classification
can be confusing. So, it would be better to add "(no fontenc)", buth
then I still think that "None (no fontenc)" is better and doesn't need
to be deciphered because it has always been like that. Hence, old users
know what it means, while new users will learn its meaning. For them,
having "Class default" is not any clear and more confusing, IMHO.

--
Enrico