Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 07, 2017 at 11:49:19AM +0200, Pavel Sanda wrote:
>> Scott Kostyshak wrote:
>> > When I'm reading email in mutt, all I do is press a shortcut (I use [ma for
>> > "mail archive"), and it copies the above link to my clipboard so I can
>> > paste
>> > it in my email (or on trac). If anyone is using mutt, let met know if you
>> > want the script.
>>
>> Nice hack, I'll be interested to see it. P
>
> Let me clean up the hack to make it a little less hackish. I've been meaning
> clean it up so this will be a good opportunity.

In case there's anyone else using Gnus, and if I need it in the future,
below is a function I just wrote to copy the message ID.

If I execute the function in a message buffer it will find the
message-ID and copy it into the "kill ring", so I can later e.g. "yank" it
into a message I'm composing.

(defun copy-message-ID (&optional arg)
  "Copy Message-ID field.
This command must be executed in a gnus message buffer."
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (beginning-of-buffer)
    (gnus-summary-toggle-header 1)
    (search-forward-regexp "^Message-ID: ")
    (let ((beg-of-ID (point)))
      (end-of-line)
      (kill-ring-save beg-of-ID (point)))
    (gnus-summary-toggle-header -1)
    )
  )

/Christian

PS
Caveat: It's a long time since I wrote lisp so the function might not be
very robust etc.