On 2019-09-12 10:08, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
Le 11/09/2019 à 21:56, Daniel a écrit :
On 11/9/19 15:47, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
Le 06/09/2019 à 18:09, Daniel a écrit :
The 'surrounding layout' problem is actually more general. Suppose you
have a section, with header and associated text. Select the whole thing and make it a branch. It will not do what you want. We really do need to change the 'outside' layout in this case. (I think there might be a bug
about this, and I have done some work on the problem.)

I never used branches. So maybe that is why I never came across the
problem and cannot evaluate the benefits over the costs correctly.

Replace branch with Note or Box and the issue is the same.

I don't see what is the difference to the example I originally posted. Just from the description you give it seems the same and I still don't see why the 'sourrounding layout' is necessarily the problem.

I suspect we are not talking about the same thing. With 2.3, if you typeset your example, you will get a bold "1" alone on the page. This is an empty section. IN master, you will get an empty document. Which is the one that makes sense to you?

I suspect that as well now. With 2.3, if I typeset my example, I get an empty document. This is because the section layout is a starred one.

Do you mean, that I get a bold 1 if I change the section layout to the non-starred version and typeset?

In case you talk about the latter, I don't see a reason why the one with the 1 does not sense. Maybe I intentionally wanted to get only the 1 typeset. This is possible in LyX by adding a note. And there are a couple of cases where it has been recommended in the past (maybe unfortunately?) that one should insert empty notes to keep layouts without contents when nesting one layout into another without adding any content to the outer one, e.g. to create a quote that only contains a numbered list.

I am not saying that this is the way to go. I am only saying that it is far from obvious to me that this is the way and it wasn't my original concern.

Now that the real issue is fixed (hopefully correctly), you can change the Note font as you want, AFAIAC.

Doesn't ring a bell. I guess I could better understand what you mean if I could test the patch.

Currently, the note inset inherits on screen the font of the enclosing text (here a section layout). It is possible to change that so that, in a Section heading with large and bold characters, the note uses default font.

I think it is a good idea that one can set an inset to not inherit the font.

However, my latest compromise suggestion was that only the first paragraph enherits the font of the enclosing text. It will then reflect the format that the text will take if the note gets dissolved.

I am not sure whether the non-inheritance or the first-paragraph inheritance option is preferable as default, but the current all-inheritance option seems confusing.

Daniel