Le 13/01/2021 à 11:22, José Abílio Matos a écrit :
On a more serious note, I do not insist on the particular use of the x.0
convention. I find it elegant and it gives a nice justification, for example,
why gcc stable releases always starts at .1. FWIW gcc started the new
numbering scheme at version 5, and it already the seventh release where this
numbering schme is used.

In Fedora Rawhide (to be Fedora 34) the current version of gcc is 11.0.0. That
immediately shows that this is not the stable version. The first stable
version will be 11.1.

Yes, it is very immediate. All you have to do is to go to the web site of each and every package you want to use and check what they mean by 3.0 ! I propose something where prime numbers are used for development releases, this would be very simple too.

At least, when a version is 2.99.4 or 2.4.0alpha1, I know it is not a regular release. Beat that with your "we all know what it means" system.