Le 15/02/2018 à 21:14, Scott Kostyshak a écrit :
On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 04:56:24PM +0000, Jean-Pierre Chrétien wrote:
Le 14/02/2018 à 00:12, Scott Kostyshak a écrit :

I think the sections in Additional.lyx about obsolete document classes
should be removed. I propose the create a new LyX file in Git's attic folder
which will contain the deleted sections.
When you delete the sections, please do t for all language versions of
Additional.lyx in branch an master.

Jean-Pierre, did you finish the work that you planned on 2.3.x regarding
this?

I'm almost done with the documentation part, I have edited all
Additional.lyx files and moved AGUTeX.lyx in templates/obsolete. I see that
I should have put an original version of Additional.lyx in the attic, I will
do it with appropriate LyX notes.

I'm going to delete jgrga.layout and agums.layout, which were used by
pre-2008 agutex.cls and reused by aguplus.cls (which is still in TeXLive,
but obsolete in CTAN, so I think it will not be part anymore of
TeXLive2018).
aguplus (1999) was in turn obsoleted by post-2008 agutex.cls, which included
jgrga and agums (and others) as class options coded in the class file
instead of  external .sty files.

Currently, here I can compile successfully AGUTeX.lyx which used
agutex.layout and post-2008 agutex.cls, that I have installed in my
texmf-local tree in 2013 when it was available.

As it is now impossible to find the agutex.cls class (agujournal.cls is the
current AGU class), the template/obsolete/AGUTeX.lyx can only be compiled if
one has kept the class file in one's texmf-local tree, and this only for the
sake of recreation of the pdf of an old paper, any new paper needing
agujournal.

So should I remove also template/obsolete/AGUTeX.lyx? What is the
compilation status of other obsoleted templates?

As for EGS, I'm going to remove egs.layout as well, the class is obsolete
since 2001, and there is no template.

I do not think that it is feasible to build a layout and template for the
new agujournal.cls and copernicus.cls classes for 2.3.0, it will involve
strings changes.

The AGUTeX wiki page

http://wiki.lyx.org/Examples/AGUTeX

is completely out of date for Linux, I will edit that also.

Thanks for this detailed update, Jean-Pierre.

I agree with your changes for AGUTeX since I was familiar with that
particular situation and since we had not decided on the final release
date. As for the other obsolete layout files and classes, now that we
have decided the final release could be in a week or so, I would prefer
to not make those changes at this point. These removals should ideally
be done at the beginning of the release cycle.  Further, I'm worried
that we could miss something (e.g. forgetting to change the Make files
or making a typo in the Make files). I'm sorry if it seemed like I gave
the green light to go through all the obsolete layout files. If both you
and Uwe disagree with me and express your disagreement by Monday and you
can complete all of the work by Monday, I could be convinced with these
extra removals. Otherwise, I would suggest going forward with the work
on master.

You are right, there is no hurry to remove unusable layouts. Maybe the best would be to remove these when a layout for agujournal and one for copernicus (for EGU) are available. It seems to me that agutex.layout can be reused for agujournal, I will give a try later.

As these are new layouts (and hopefully, templates), this can be done with the 2.3 maintenance releases, it is not necessary to wait for master release.

José, I see that you developed with Martin a layout file and a set of .inc files for use with DocBook. I guess this is obsolete as well?

--
Jean-Pierre