N Vande Casteele wrote:

> Yes, this is the case. I have also encountered this 'problem' -- the file
> written away is 0 bytes and an error message is only printed on the console
> which is not good when running under XWindows since one doesn't bother
> looking at the console output and thus has no way of knowing the file was
> actually not saved.

I know it's just a matter of personal taste, but I personally like the little
"xconsole" program...just have it there around in a corner of your screen...
Another trick can be to use a totally transparent ETerm that does a tail -f
/var/log/messages , so you'll have the messages appearing right in your root
window...
Of course, that means you want to look at all the messages your system sends
to "you" ; which is in my sense not a bad habit...

Regards
Thierry Michalowksi

begin:vcard
n:Michalowski;Thierry
tel;cell:+33 6 82 93 73 30
tel;home:+41 21 601 35 22
tel;work:+41 21 349 4626
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Edipresse Publications S.A.;Informatique de Production
adr:;;33,av de la gare;Lausanne;;CH-1001;Suisse
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
x-mozilla-cpt:;1760
fn:Thierry Michalowski