On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> Greg> I can type and have displayed an "r" with acute accent, but not
> Greg> an "m" with acute accent.  I see in Reference.lyx that "m" in
> Greg> fact is not a valid letter to use with the accent-acute
> Greg> function.  But is there any good reason for this restriction?
> Greg> LyX is perfectly capable of drawing an acute accent over an "m"
> Greg> -- I can hand-edit a LyX file and put in "\i \'{m}", and then in
> Greg> LyX I see the accented "m".
>
> I do not really know why these characters are considered as not
> valid. Maybe Lars could comment on this, since I believe he added that
> code.
>
> In any case, I think you can use the only (!) toggle in Options->LaTeX
> to change this.

Thank you; I didn't know about that option.  It isn't, though, exactly
what I need.  (This isn't a complaint, at all, just a note about what
might be useful in some future version.)  I would like to have acute-
accented "r" and acute-accented "m" treated the same, as though LaTeX
only knew about 7-bit encodings (even though I'm using T1-encoded
fonts).  The reason is that I use the tipa package for IPA phonetic
transcriptions, and tipa uses T3-encoded fonts, an encoding LyX doesn't
(yet) know about.  A Latin-1 r-with-acute-accent character and a LaTeX
"\'r" produce quite different results -- only the latter prints an
acute-accented "r".  So, it would be useful someday, if I could get
Lyx to store away "\i \'{r}" when I put an acute accent on an "r",
just as now it stores away "\o \'{m}" when I put one on an "m".

Greg Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>