Greg> On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> [...]
Greg> I can type and have displayed an "r" with acute accent, but not
Greg> an "m" with acute accent.  I see in Reference.lyx that "m" in
Greg> fact is not a valid letter to use with the accent-acute
Greg> function.  But is there any good reason for this restriction?
Greg> LyX is perfectly capable of drawing an acute accent over an "m"
Greg> -- I can hand-edit a LyX file and put in "\i \'{m}", and then in
Greg> LyX I see the accented "m".
>>  I do not really know why these characters are considered as not
>> valid. Maybe Lars could comment on this, since I believe he added
>> that code.
>>
>> In any case, I think you can use the only (!) toggle in
>> Options->LaTeX to change this.

Greg> Thank you; I didn't know about that option.  It isn't, though,
Greg> exactly what I need.  (This isn't a complaint, at all, just a
Greg> note about what might be useful in some future version.)  I
Greg> would like to have acute- accented "r" and acute-accented "m"
Greg> treated the same, as though LaTeX only knew about 7-bit
Greg> encodings (even though I'm using T1-encoded fonts).  The reason
Greg> is that I use the tipa package for IPA phonetic transcriptions,
Greg> and tipa uses T3-encoded fonts, an encoding LyX doesn't (yet)
Greg> know about.  A Latin-1 r-with-acute-accent character and a LaTeX
Greg> "\'r" produce quite different results -- only the latter prints
Greg> an acute-accented "r".  So, it would be useful someday, if I
Greg> could get Lyx to store away "\i \'{r}" when I put an acute
Greg> accent on an "r", just as now it stores away "\o \'{m}" when I
Greg> put one on an "m".

You should have a look at the files isoXXXX.cdef in the lib/kbd/
directory. They allow to define a new font encoding. It should be
possible to define a simple ascii (or maybe) tipa encoding which fits
your needs.

JMarc