On Sat, 17 Jul 1999, Greg Lee wrote:

Hi Greg!
> I can type and have displayed an "r" with acute accent, but
> not an "m" with acute accent.  I see in Reference.lyx that
> "m" in fact is not a valid letter to use with the accent-acute
> function.  But is there any good reason for this restriction?
> LyX is perfectly capable of drawing an acute accent over an
> "m" -- I can hand-edit a LyX file and put in "\i \'{m}", and
> then in LyX I see the accented "m".

I dig a little bit into LyX source, and although I am very far from
programming (used to be in the past), I've found a way to enter desired
accented characters which are prohibited in LyX.

I had the sam problem - for sanskrit I need many underdot characters.

Here is the solution:
Find a tex-accent.C file and in line 39 (struct definition), change the
string to contain the characters you need for appropriate accent.
I just tried and I have m with dot as well as t with underdot.

When I'll have more time (now I'm finishing one book and I was in need
of quick solution), I'll try to inspect a source a little bit to try to
find a way to get correct code for accented characters.
Sincerely,
Sasa