Whoops, sorry, I was reading messages FIFO instead of LIFO. :-) I note, however, that another of Hal's problems is that LaTeX is not finding .cls files. This has to do with the version of Python running in OS X. I had that problem and fixed it taking the following steps (which I found somewhere):

1. Open a Terminal.app session and run LyX from the command line with the command:

/Applications/LyX.app/Contents/MacOS/lyx

2. From inside LyX, reconfigure (Tools -> Reconfigure).

3. Restart LyX.

This worked like a charm for me — though it doesn't obviously solve the problem with the missing convert binary. Re that problem, trying typing "which convert" from the command line. If nothing shows up, this suggests a problem with your MacTeX installation since (as Stephan noted) I believe this is installed by MacTeX (it's part of the ImageMagick package, which TeX uses for processing graphics). If it does show up, then it's definitely a path problem in your LaTeX or LyX configuration.

-chris