On 2015-02-16, Michael Berger wrote:
> On 02/15/2015 09:52 PM, Guenter Milde wrote:
>> On 2015-01-22, Michael Berger wrote:

>> If you have difficulties with Unicode input, there is also the "textalpha"
>> and "alphabeta" package (both are part of greek-fontenc). With

>>    \usepackage{textalpha}

>> you can input Greek symbols "by name", e.g. as \texalpha ... \textOmega
>> (in LyX as ERT).

>> With

>>    \usepackage{alphabeta}

>> you can drop the "text" prefix: input Greek symbols as
>> \alpha ... \Omega (in LyX as ERT) and, according to their position in text
>> or an equation, the mathematical or text fonts will be used.

>>> B) as A) but in glosses

> After going through lots of experimenting and teachings I can subscribe
> to all of your points but one: In Glosses the only way to get Greek
> parts is using the Transliteration Method.

> Jürgen emphasizes: "So-called verbatim context (such as TeX mode,
> verbatim paragraphs, linguistic glosses or program listings) does not
> allow language changes and is currently hard-wired to latin1 encoding
> (the latter is a LyX limitation), so you cannot insert Greek (unicode)
> glyphs to verbatim context (if you do you get lots of LaTeX errors).

Sad but true.
Hint: File a bug report (or support an existing bug report): the encoding
of these parts should be the same as the rest of the document.

> *Therefore, you need to insert Greek to such context via Latin
> Transliteration.*"

This is IMO a false conclusion: The LICR (latex internal macro
representation) should work in these cases, too.

For Greek, this means that the abovementionend alphabeta and textalpha
packages should allow the use of \alpha or \textalpha in glosses etc..

Günter