Hi Scott,

Here you can find some references:
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/64448/how-to-overcome-acrobat-reader-error-131-with-a-pdflatex-doc
https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/error-problem-reading-document-131.html

Last reference is from Adobe itself, but the solution is somewhat cryptic
as I am using Reader DC and couldn't find those menus.

It seems that the compressed PDF will sometimes trigger this error in Adobe
Reader. I used pdftk to uncompress my file and it could be opened by
Reader. I also removed a couple of PDFs (created the same way as the
remaining in the document) and even compressed it could be opened by Reader.

I use Sumatra, thus, I didn't know of this problem until I shared some
slides with my students who used Adobe Reader. One of them used Chrome's
PDF plug-in to open it, then printed it as PDF and the problem was removed.
In Ubuntu, Ocular could open it without a hassle. I don't know if Apple's
Preview could do it.

I hope this info is enough to track the error.

Regards, Julio.

Julio Rojas
jcredbe...@gmail.com