On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 05:19:53PM -0300, Julio Rojas wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> Here you can find some references:
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/64448/how-to-overcome-acrobat-reader-error-131-with-a-pdflatex-doc
> https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/error-problem-reading-document-131.html
>
> Last reference is from Adobe itself, but the solution is somewhat cryptic
> as I am using Reader DC and couldn't find those menus.
>
> It seems that the compressed PDF will sometimes trigger this error in Adobe
> Reader. I used pdftk to uncompress my file and it could be opened by
> Reader. I also removed a couple of PDFs (created the same way as the
> remaining in the document) and even compressed it could be opened by Reader.
>
> I use Sumatra, thus, I didn't know of this problem until I shared some
> slides with my students who used Adobe Reader. One of them used Chrome's
> PDF plug-in to open it, then printed it as PDF and the problem was removed.
> In Ubuntu, Ocular could open it without a hassle. I don't know if Apple's
> Preview could do it.
>
> I hope this info is enough to track the error.
>
> Regards, Julio.

> Julio Rojas
> jcredbe...@gmail.com

Thanks for the details and the references, Julio. This is great
information to have in case someone else experiences the problem. I took
a look at how to set /pdfminorversion=4. It seems this could be helpful:
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/78248/how-to-force-pdfminorversion-globally
Maybe you are hesitant to set it globally?

Scott