On 21.07.2016 02:04, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 07:32:01PM -0400, Scott Kostyshak wrote:

Interesting idea. I guess we do not show it to use the extra space, but
I'm not sure which is best.

I doubt we are going to change this by default [...]

(Sorry for being slightly off-topic.)

I am not sure I understand why though.

If the reason is that the extra space is important to have then something should be done about the spaces in LyX in general. Because I guess often people work with several tabs anyway and if space is a problem there, then it is a more general problem.

Always showing tabs seems also like pretty much the standard in other applications (e.g. browsers). My guess is, as I suggested, that this is because there are certain functionalities when tabs are shown that users get used to which are lost when they are hidden.

I guess tabs could be shown by default but there could be a switch in

Tools > Preferences... > Look & Feel > Document Handling.

Daniel