On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 09:44:52AM +1200, gordon cooper wrote:
> 1a & 1b  also 2a & 2b.  I wold not expect anything to happen.
>
> With my present mouse, which has a fairly light touch, I would
> prefer things to stay as they are - nothing.  The scroll and middle
> button are combined and as I tend to scroll often, another function
> (as happens in another application where middle button activates
> paste)  could be annoying. or else I develop a lighter touch.

You might want to disable middle-click on your mouse if it leads to
annoying behavior in more than one program (note that middle-button for
pasting the most recent selection is pretty common). That said, I'm sure
there are others who have the same opinion. Nonetheless, because there
is precedent (i.e. other programs implement similar behavior, see
below), I think we will implement some behavior.

After thinking about the feedback, I think that the most reasonable
approach is to:

1. close the tab on middle-click
2. do nothing when middle-clicking the blank space

The main reason for (1) is simply because Chromium and Firefox do it.
And although I can understand why some might be hesitant because of an
errant middle-click, my guess is that it does not happen too often, and
when it does happen there is no bad consecuence (Paul will be surprised
that the universe does not implode): if you have unsaved data, you will
be prompted just as you would be if you clicked on the "x".  And if you
don't have unsaved data, it might be confusing how one of the tabs
disappeared but you will be able to reopen it without any data loss.

Note that (1) was requested here:
http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/10288

(2) was more up in the air because Firefox opens a new tab, and Chromium
does nothing. Further, as Shay pointed out, we don't have a "new
document" button like in Firefox and Chromium. However, you can
double-click in the blank area to open a tab; and further judgingi from
the responses it seems like "nothing" is a reasonable choice.

Thank you all for the feedback! I will try to poll lyx-users more often.
I always get good feedback here. The only thing is that I usually work
on minor features so it is not a very exciting thing to give feedback
on. But as long as I get a few bites, I'll keep fishing.

Scott