I remember from a long while back - years ago - that the Lyx installer on
Windows would ask you to point to the directory of your Latex
distribution.  I think a good accommodation would be a message indicating
that a Latex distribution has been identified (if one has), with a prompt
asking users whether they'd like to use the detected distribution or if
they'd like to point the installer to another.