Sorry-- I made a mistake: it was Lubuntu 18.04, not 18.10.  Yes, as I mentioned in the original post, pdflatex compiles tex files just tine, but Lyx cannot compile its old files.  I tried to run Lyx from the terminal, as Scott suggested, but that did not help-- there were no illuminating error messages.
However, when I try to click Cntrl-R to compile a Lyx file, I see a message: "Command disabled" at the bottom of the Lyx window.  Perhaps that is a clue to Lyx Mavens?
Thanks--
Ehud Kaplan