On 09/14/2018 11:17 AM, Andrew Parsloe wrote:

On 14/09/2018 8:38 p.m., Kornel Benko wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 13. September 2018 19:00:39 CEST schrieb Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org>:
On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 11:15:03PM +0200, Kornel Benko wrote:
OK, but we are still missing the requested log-file (as suggested by Scott).
He sent it to me privately. I won't repost it here, since perhaps there
is something that he does not want to share. I will share part of it
that I don't think has any private information, and that has suggestions
for the problem.

No problem here:

checking for the pdflatex program...
+checking for "pdflatex"...  yes
checking for XeTeX...
+checking for "xelatex"...  yes
checking for LuaTeX...
+checking for "lualatex"...  yes
checking for LuaTeX (DVI)...
+checking for "dvilualatex"...  yes

But:

checking for a PDF previewer...

So that would mean that he _can_ compile but cannot preview.
This is neither lyx nor texlive. Installing e.g. package 'okular' should help.

    Kornel

In his opening post Ehud mentioned TeXworks: "Now Latex works fine (through Texworks) but Lyx does not". In windows systems using MiKTeX, a version of TeXworks is provided which has its own pdf viewer which LyX can find if, under Tools > Preferences > File Formats for PDF (pdflatex), Custom is entered beside Viewer and TeXworks in the neighbouring slot. The first time viewing a document it takes ages to display the pdf since TeXworks needs to load, but after that it works fine. Presumably in Lubuntu and with TeXLive something similar is possible?

Andrew

---

I suspected initially that the problem is a pdf viewer that Lyx fails to see, and this suspicion was supported by some of you.  So, even though other programs (like Texworks) could show pdf documents, I installed the Foxit Reader (which I use under Windows).  That did not solve the problem.  In addition, I still get: Command Disabled when I type Cntrl-R to compile a lyx file for pdf, although compiling for DVI works fine.  Furthermore, I did not find in the Lyx preferences where or how to specify the pdf viewer that Lyx should be using.  I made Foxit the default pdf viewer, but Lyx still seems to ignore it.  Incidentally, I tried to find in the Texworks preferences where the pdf viewer is specified, but I was unable to find it.
    So, sadly, Lyx is still dead (for me).
Thanks--
Ehud Kaplan