On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 04:32:37PM +0200, udi wrote:
> Sorry-- I made a mistake: it was Lubuntu 18.04, not 18.10.  Yes, as I
> mentioned in the original post, pdflatex compiles tex files just
> tine, but Lyx cannot compile its old files.  I tried to run Lyx from
> the terminal, as Scott suggested, but that did not help-- there were
> no illuminating error messages.
> However, when I try to click Cntrl-R to compile a Lyx file, I see a
> message: "Command disabled" at the bottom of the Lyx window.  Perhaps
> that is a clue to Lyx Mavens?

Please start LyX from the terminal and run Tools > Reconfigure. Then
copy the output into a log file and attach it to an email.

I've seen many problems with reconfigure not finding a TeX installation
on Windows, but I don't recall any widespread problem on Linux related
to this.

Also, how did you install LyX? From the repos or a PPA?

Could you please respond in-line (instead of top-posting)?

Best,

Scott