On 09/14/2018 04:22 PM, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 01:55:37PM +0200, udi wrote:

I suspected initially that the problem is a pdf viewer that Lyx fails
to see, and this suspicion was supported by some of you.  So, even
though other programs (like Texworks) could show pdf documents, I
installed the Foxit Reader (which I use under Windows).  That did not
solve the problem.  In addition, I still get: Command Disabled when I
type Cntrl-R to compile a lyx file for pdf, although compiling for
DVI works fine.  Furthermore, I did not find in the Lyx preferences
where or how to specify the pdf viewer that Lyx should be using.
If in Tools > Preferences you search for "viewer", one result is
File Handling > File Formats. Select the PDF format from the dropdown
box at the top, and then put in the binary name of your PDF viewer.
Unfortunately, if you have to use multiple PDF formats, you must change
it for all.

I made Foxit the default pdf viewer, but Lyx still seems to ignore it.
Do you mean at the OS level? indeed, I think someday we will add support
for xdg-open or something like that, but right now we don't have it.

Incidentally, I tried to find in the Texworks preferences where the
pdf viewer is specified, but I was unable to find it.
    So, sadly, Lyx is still dead (for me).
LyX seems to be alive on your system! It is just not able to communicate.

What is the binary name of Foxit Reader?
Did Lubuntu install a PDF reader and you removed it or it really does
not install a PDF reader in the base installation?

Scott
I believe that the binary name is FoxitReader-- when I type in terminal "FoxitReader foo" the pdf file named foo.pdf is shown by FoxitReader.  I tried to give Lyx the full path of FoxitReader, but no dice.  Right now, when I type Cntrl-R in Lyx the output is displayed by a (terrible) viewer called xdvik, which is not pdf.  I suspect that this is the viewer that comes with LXDE.
Ehud Kaplan