OK… I just found I had put the “-shell-escape” string in the wrong cell…

I have now changed the preferences, and inserted this string in both of the
XeTeX and LuaTeX converters from LaTeX to PDF.

Now, I get the (expected) warning that using the “-shell-escape” string is
*dangerous*.

Question 1:

  *   Dangerous, because LyX is more likely to *crash*, or
  *   Dangerous, because it opens up my computer to hacking??

Experience – here is some listing in LyX:
[cid:image003.png@01DA90D8.A23B6C70]
This expression is taken from a Jupyter Notebook running in VSCode (language:
Julia), where the symbols are created by “\frakm + TAB \dot + TAB = m\dot + TAB
v”
…and here is what it looks like when I use XeTeX/LuaTeX:

[cid:image004.png@01DA90D8.F0F27C50]

Questions 2:

  *   Could I expect a better response if I install a font that supports
Unicode, and specifies this font in the fonts scheme of Listings?
  *   If I install such a font with Unicode support (e.g., JuliaMono), would
that rule out using XeTeX so that I should use LuaTeX?

Question 3:

  *   If I should use LuaTeX, how can I change LyX so that issuing command
Ctrl+r produces the PDF using LuaTeX?

-B