I just discovered the “character” shortcuts Alt + C…, e.g., Alt + C R for
mathroman in math.

  *   I’m a touch typist, so I prefer to use keyboard shortcuts over menus
  *   I’m not a pianist, so I don’t have extremely independent movement of
fingers
  *   Because the “Alt” key is on the lefthand side of the keyboard and the “C”
 key also is on the lefthand side, this makes it very awkward to hold down the
Alt key and at the same time hold down the C key.
  *   This difficulty is increased by that the Alt key should be hit with the
*middle finger* (which must be bent in an awkward way to hit the Alt key). The
problem is much less pronounced with the Ctrl key, which is hit with the pinkie.

Probably not a popular suggestion, but it would be much simpler to use Alt with
a key on the righthand side of the keyboard, e.g., replacing Alt+C with Alt+K.