> On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 01:16:17PM +0200, Ralf wrote:
> > The \limits command is not saved. When you write something like
> >
> > \lim\limits _{x\rightarrow\infinity}
> >
> > in inline formulas the subscript will be under the \lim. When you save
> > the file an reopen it, the \limits is gone, so that the subscript will be
> > displayed like usual subscripts (e.g. like in $x_{i}$). This applies only
> > to inline formulas.
>
> I'll have a look. There is certainly something fishy there....

I could live with that. I had to before (defining something like
\Lim=\lim\limits), but as I said in version 1.2.0 I can't even change the
position of the limits not even in displayed formulas! That's a big problem.

> > When you use \intlimits as an option for amsmath, integral limits in
> > displayed formulas are put below and above the integral sign as a
> > default, so you don't have to use \limits at all. I regard this as a
> > matter of style. If one uses \limits in inline formulas once, it would be
> > strange not to use it always. That's why I suggest having the option
> > to do so as a default would be very nice.
>
> We are currently not supporting specific options to the ams packages. How
> would a user interface for this look like?

As for this there is no need to do anything. It is enough to put "intlimits"
or "sumlimit" into the extra document options and use amsmath. And it works.
As far as I know there is no amsmath option that does the same for inline
formulas. That's why I thought it could be provided by LyX, in a similar way
like the float options. They are also used for the whole document. so why not
have a check box that, if checked, would lead to the insertion of \limits
after every inlined \lim command (or \int or \sum)

Ralf