On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 03:22:12PM -0600, Bo Peng wrote:
> In lyx1.2, entering \alpha in text mode will result in a math-mode
> \alpha. Why cannot this be continued? Andre' said that lyx used binary
> switch and now uses nested switch between text/math modes but I guess it
> is still possible to automatically turn to math-mode when math symbol is
> input in text mode.

Should \alpha in text mode switch back to the "enclosing" level of
math or create a new level of math?

What if the enclosing level is another level of text? Like an \fbox in
an \fbox? Should it break that, too?

I still believe there is no obviously correct solution and unless we find
one I'd rather stick to the "you get what you order" mantra.

Andre'

--
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security,
will not have, nor do they deserve, either one. (T. Jefferson)