On 13 Feb 2003, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> Andre> not necessarily mean they get it... Here it is not uncommon to
> Andre> "collect" applications from different servers just because
> Andre> there is not a single one containing the "proper" version of
> Andre> everything, let alone all licenses.

I have to do this all the time (I hate MATLAB's license server btw).

> Andre> And not everybody is lucky enough to be root on his desktop
> Andre> machine and free to install whatever version he likes...

Amen.

> If one is able to run LyX remotely on another machine, then one can
> also open an xterm on the said other machine and type commands there.

You might not believe this... but our Solaris machines don't have SSH
running and xhost has been disabled... however, I've still used:
        lyx --export ps somefile.lyx ; lpr somefile.ps
on occassion, especially when the color printer only works from a
specific Solaris machine.

I think my point is that you can't really assume that you'll need a
"graphical" connection... maybe you need to save bandwidth (modem)?

> Or maybe you want to send commands to the running LyX of the guy next
> door. That would be very nasty of you.

I think it'd be great if two persons could work on the same document...
but's that's a different topic.

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderström                           http://www.md.kth.se/~chr