Katrin Pietzsch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got the same problem here. Two days ago I decided to give
> Ronald's LyX-port a try (instead of using the x11-version) and
> installed teTeX, ghostscript 8 and imagemagick with Gerben Wierda's
> installer. After that I installed LyX/Mac and was happy with it
> working nicely - untill I wanted to preview the document, which
> failed for all the options given (dvi, pdf, pdflatex,...).
>
> I loged out and in again after the installation, i did "edit ->
> reconfigure" (or vice versa) and I just checked my
> teTeX-installation - it works. What's disturbing me is that i don't
> understand completely which software is required and where it has to
> be installed and how to be linked with LyX/Aqua in order to get the
> preview working.
>
> I installed MacDviX - no result - they don't want to "play"
> together....
>
> Ah, another thing: when in lyx i do "view -> dvi" lyx pretends to do
> something - but does not produce an output (which would be a
> .dvi-file in the same directory as the original .lyx-file, wouldn't
> it?)
>
> Any help on this or any ideas where i missed a step when setting up
> LyX/Mac is very, very welcome :)
>
> Thanks,
> Katrin

LyX will try and use a temporary directory for all its generated
'rubbish'. Look in /tmp when you have a running LyX. You should see a
directory /tmp/lyx???? where the ???? is some random text.

Incidentally, if these directories exist and no LyX is running, you
can safely
        rm -rf /tmp/lyx*

Ok, on to the main problem.
LyX concerns itself with the on-screen display of your document and
with managing its conversion to other formats using external
software.

So, question 1 is, 'Does your latex installation work?'.
$ lyx -e latex your_file.lyx
$ latex your_file.tex
$ xdvi your_file.dvi

--