Katrin> Thanks guys :)! I needed to specify the applications to
Katrin> preview dvi, ps, pdf - which I did as Oliver Margraf suggested
Katrin> in his mail (Edit --> Preferences? (Einstellungen) --> file
Katrin> format? (Dateiformate) and then "open -a Preview" or another
Katrin> programme).

Katrin> At least I found a way to view my file - although I don't
Katrin> think that e.g. the programme "Preview" is able to refresh the
Katrin> view. I have an ghostview installation which runs under X11.
Katrin> Does anybody by any chance know, whether and how I can
Katrin> configure LyX to use a X11-application for previewing files?

Just put 'gostview' instead of the open -a stuff.

Katrin> p.s.: like Oliver I also noticed that LyX doesn't remember
Katrin> Acrobat Reader for previewing. Why is that?

What do you mean?

JMarc